MIASA Writing workshop, 12-16 April 2021, University of Ghana, Accra
The Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) seeks to provide Africa-based early career researchers working on the themes of sustainable peace, sustainable democracy and sustainable environmental transformation on the continent with the space and intellectual community to transform a draft paper into a publishable journal piece. The 5-day writing workshop is designed to provide these researchers with the opportunity to contribute to knowledge production in the humanities and social sciences.
- To strengthen the academic writing skills of African early career scholars, with particular attention to female scholars,
- To enhance the success rate of early career African scholars’ submissions to high quality journals,
- To build a network of Africa-based scholars working on the themes of sustainable peace, sustainable democracy and sustainable environmental transformation.
The 5-day programme will be organised as a writing retreat, with daily seminars and writing sessions. The seminars will include practical guidance on academic writing and publishing in high quality journals. The daily writing sessions will be supported by academic mentors and editors with research interests in sustainable peace, sustainable democracy and sustainable environmental transformation.
Successful applicants will be provided with funding to cover travel expenses to Ghana from Sub-Saharan Africa along with accommodation and subsistence costs for the duration of the workshop.
Applications are welcomed from early career researchers who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- a doctorate which was awarded within 5 years of the application deadline, i.e. doctoral certificate awarded after January 2016 to date,
- employed at a recognised university or research institute in Sub-Saharan Africa,
- fluency in written and spoken English (there will be no translation services provided).
The application should include the following:
- a motivation letter (1-page maximum) outlining reasons for wishing to attend the writing workshop and the benefits to be gained,
- a draft research paper (5,000-8,000 words in English) that contains original data and preliminary data analysis in the areas of sustainable democracy, sustainable peace or sustainable environmental transformation, and which is aimed at journal submission,
- an abstract of the paper (max. 500 words),
- a full CV,
- a PhD award certificate.
- Applications should be filled using the following link: https://forms.gle/RAqAoCg9gbmc8Q4z9
- Submission deadline: 7th January 2021
- Applications will be assessed and selected through a strictly merit-based procedure. The main selection criteria are:
- A PhD certificate granted between January 2016 and January 2021,
- Employment at a university or research institute on the African continent,
- Excellence, relevance and originality of the draft research paper,
- Fit of the research with the themes of sustainable democracy, sustainable peace or sustainable environmental transformation.
The workshop is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research through the Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) based at the University of Ghana, Legon. The organisers of the workshop are MIASA at the University of Ghana in cooperation with ZIAF/University of Frankfurt, Germany.