The African Studies Association of Africa is hosting its bi-annual elections to confirm the officers for the next two years. The ASAA elections committee 2020 is tasked with organizing the election including but not limited to:
- Organizing the nominations and elections process
- Identifying eligible nominations based on ASAA Bylaws
- Confirming and certifying eligible voters
- Running the election
- Announcing the elections results and certifying the new leadership body
The Nomination of ASAA Officers are open until May 2, 2020. The following positions are available for nomination:
The executive power of the African Studies Association of Africa (ASAA) shall be vested in the President. The President shall act as the Chair of the Executive Committee and provide leadership to the Executive Committee. S/he/they shall guide Executive Committee actions with respect to organizational priorities and governance; monitoring financial planning and financial reports with the Treasurer; and playing an active advisory role in fundraising activities. The President shall also prepare an Annual Report for the Executive Committee and Association members on the performance of the organization in achieving its mission and goals. The President shall perform /her/his/their duties and responsibilities in accordance to ASAA By-Laws Article V11 and Article VIII, Section 1, 2, 5, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3
The Vice-President shall act in a role of assistance for all the responsibilities of the President. In the absence of the President or in the event of the President’s inability, incapacitation, or refusal to act in the best interest of the Association, the Vice-President shall perform the duties and responsibilities of the President per articles and provisions of the ASAA By-Laws.
The Secretary shall keep minutes of Executive Committee meetings; see that all notices are given in accordance with the provisions of the by-laws or as required by law; and be the custodian of Association records. The Secretary shall also act as a liaison between the President and the Executive Committee/general membership/other agencies to plan meetings, receive agenda items from the Executive Committee, standing committees, ad hoc committees and circulate approved minutes, agendas, and reports to the organization per Article VIII, Section 7 of the ASAA By-Laws.
The Treasurer shall oversee the management and/or manage the finances of the Association. S/he/they shall have charge of and be responsible for all the funds and securities of the Association; receive and give receipts for monies due and payable to the Association from any source; and deposit all such monies in the name of the Association in such banks, trust companies, or other depositories. S/he/they will prepare an Annual Fiscal Report of the Association as well as a financial report to the Executive Committee within six months of the conclusion of each biennial meeting. S/he/they shall perform the Association’s duties and responsibilities per Article VIII, Section 8 of the ASAA By-Laws.
How to nominate
- Each nomination should include the following information about the Nominee:
- Office for which nomination is made.
- Full name of nominee
- Current position & academic institution, organization, or company
- Educational background (degrees, academic discipline)
- Contact information: email address, phone number(s)
- Brief statement of why you are submitting nominee for the position (300 words)
- Confirm that you contacted the nominee and received his/her consent to be nominated.
- Self-nominations are acceptable for one position on the Executive Committee per a self-nominator.
- Member may not nominate more than one person for a position.
- Member does not have to submit a nominee for each of the four elective positions. However, we suggest that you do.
- Members are encouraged to consider regional, national, ethnic, and gender balance of ASAA officers when nominating candidates.
How to Submit a nomination
Note: All nominees and nominators must be ASAA members in good standing (i.e. current membership dues paid).